Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Wiki Style Guide Article Type Examples

148 replies to this topic

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts
  • IGN:felinoel
  • Modpack:FTB Mage Quest
Discussion taken from here.

There is an example for only one type of article...
http://ftbwiki.org/F...ki:Items/Blocks
...but we have so many different kinds of articles, Mobs, Mods/Modpacks, Biomes, Dimensions, Concepts, Weapons, etc.
We need more example articles for how an article should look.

Thoughts? Additional article types? Potential changes to the archetypal Items/Blocks page?
Watch all of my different Let's Play series, Minecraft and more!
player.me/felinoel

We need to make default article pages! Discuss their designs here!

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts
  • IGN:dgelessus
  • Modpack:FTB Tech World 2

Just a minor thing - could we move that page to "Feed The Beast Wiki:Items and Blocks" or something along those lines? The slash is usually used to create hierarchies and such with pages.

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

Just a minor thing - could we move that page to "Feed The Beast Wiki:Items and Blocks" or something along those lines? The slash is usually used to create hierarchies and such with pages.

lol yes we can but as I've learned when I moved the TC3 articles this wiki does not do that hierarchy thing.
player.me/felinoel

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts

http://ftbwiki.org/U...box/Modpack/doc

Of course it does. Maybe only in some namespaces. Anyway, I'm currently doing some stuff on the guide page, I'll move it once I'm done.

PS:

Moved it to Project:Style Guide/Blocks and Items and now the hierarchy also works.

We also have to see about protecting these pages. Currently the main Style Guide is semi-protected, which is too low IMO. I'd say contrib (or maybe sysop)-level protection.

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

http://ftbwiki.org/U...box/Modpack/doc
Of course it does. Maybe only in some namespaces.

How come it didn't work for the TC3 pages... >.>

Anyway, I'm currently doing some stuff on the guide page, I'll move it once I'm done.

PS:
Moved it to Project:Style Guide/Blocks and Items and now the hierarchy also works.
We also have to see about protecting these pages. Currently the main Style Guide is semi-protected, which is too low IMO. I'd say contrib (or maybe sysop)-level protection.

Protected.
player.me/felinoel

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts

How come it didn't work for the TC3 pages... >.>

Maybe it's disabled in the main namespace (for some reason...)

Oh, and I tried to enable cascading protection for the main Style Guide, so it would also affect subpages. Somehow that doesn't quite work though. Maybe cause I first enabled it and THEN unprotected the subpage, but I didn't want to spam the protection logs with my messing around...

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

Maybe it's disabled in the main namespace (for some reason...)

Oh, and I tried to enable cascading protection for the main Style Guide, so it would also affect subpages. Somehow that doesn't quite work though. Maybe cause I first enabled it and THEN unprotected the subpage, but I didn't want to spam the protection logs with my messing around...

lol idk, seems protected enough to me, now to get back on topic?
player.me/felinoel

timrem

timrem

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1275 posts
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 1.7 Pack

Oh, and I tried to enable cascading protection for the main Style Guide, so it would also affect subpages. Somehow that doesn't quite work though.

Cascading protection doesn't protect the subpages of a page, it protects any templates used on that page (and any templates those use, etc). It was created because someone was able to get naughty pictures onto the Wikipedia Main Page by putting them into a template it used, which someone forgot to protect.

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts

Cascading protection doesn't protect the subpages of a page, it protects any templates used on that page (and any templates those use, etc). It was created because someone was able to get naughty pictures onto the Wikipedia Main Page by putting them into a template it used, which someone forgot to protect.

Oh. That explains that. I'll un-cascade it then, who knows what might get protected.

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

LOL someone tried that a year or three ago on this wiki I crat.

EDIT:
Returning to on topic, we should expand on potential article types, one that should be an easy one to start would be the Mobs, how should Mob articles look?
http://ftbwiki.org/Lich
Let's model this article to perfection (since it is such an iconic mob) and then use it for the example Mob page.
player.me/felinoel

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts

No, I wouldn't take a TF boss as a base - they require at least one special section regarding the boss battle. Taking a rather simple mob (creeper maybe? that one's iconic fo sure) would probably be better.

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

No, I wouldn't take a TF boss as a base - they require at least one special section regarding the boss battle. Taking a rather simple mob (creeper maybe? that one's iconic fo sure) would probably be better.

I guess? But even a creeper requires a special section for supercharged creepers.
Same for a pig but that can just link to zombie pigman.
player.me/felinoel

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts

FYI, I've rearranged and reworded the main Style Guide quite a bit, someone should probably check that no information got lost in the process... but the structure makes more sense now IMO :P

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

FYI, I've rearranged and reworded the main Style Guide quite a bit, someone should probably check that no information got lost in the process... but the structure makes more sense now IMO :P

I noticed and was going to say something to you but I see you put quote marks at the end of the sentence before the period, it may not look right but according to most to all styles of the English language the period goes inside the quotes regardless of whether or not they are a part of the actual quote, so saying something like he walked on the boat, "Vicariously through the planes." Is correct and so is lists like with "oranges," "pears," and "orangutangs."

player.me/felinoel

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts

I noticed and was going to say something to you but I see you put quote marks at the end of the sentence before the period, it may not look right but according to most to all styles of the English language the period goes inside the quotes regardless of whether or not they are a part of the actual quote, so saying something like he walked on the boat, "Vicariously through the planes." Is correct and so is lists like with "oranges," "pears," and "orangutangs."

This always throws me off, I remember having learned that the period goes into the quotation marks only if it's part of the quoted sentence... but I am German, so that's probably just different. We should also put things like these in a separate guide section.

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

This always throws me off, I remember having learned that the period goes into the quotation marks only if it's part of the quoted sentence... but I am German, so that's probably just different. We should also put things like these in a separate guide section.

lol I asked my final college English professor about it and she said it just looks better if you reword the sentence so that it doesn't have the quote at the end of a sentence because it seems wrong inside the quotes... xD

Anyways yes we should decide which way that goes here.

player.me/felinoel

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts

lol I asked my final college English professor about it and she said it just looks better if you reword the sentence so that it doesn't have the quote at the end of a sentence because it seems wrong inside the quotes... xD

That's also a solution :D

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

That's also a solution :D

She said the same thing when I asked her about ending a sentence with I.S.S.
lol

EDIT:
We could work on a design for concepts then, Auras and Nodes needs cleaning, thoughts?
http://ftbwiki.org/Auras_and_Nodes
player.me/felinoel

Celestial Oblivion

Celestial Oblivion

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 409 posts
  • IGN:I_Love_Creepers
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 1.6 Pack

It's not just you Germans. I am endlessly bothered by this "style" rule as well. The quote but one part of my sentence, if I am ending the entire sentence, it should go outside the quotes.  <_<

LOL someone tried that a year or three ago on this wiki I crat.

EDIT:
Returning to on topic, we should expand on potential article types, one that should be an easy one to start would be the Mobs, how should Mob articles look?
http://ftbwiki.org/Lich
Let's model this article to perfection (since it is such an iconic mob) and then use it for the example Mob page.

Sadly I've never fought a Lich before, but I think it could use a bit of touching up. Name isn't bolded, not sure if we should standardize a trivia section, could use a bit more information on stuff besides the boss fight.

"The mind is the attribute of man. When man is born, he comes into existence with only one weapon with him- The reasoning mind."

...And his fists for punching trees.

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

Sadly I've never fought a Lich before, but I think it could use a bit of touching up. Name isn't bolded, not sure if we should standardize a trivia section, could use a bit more information on stuff besides the boss fight.

Ehhh idk, a Trivia section might include an element of "fun" to the article, maybe we could standardize it but note that it is an optional addition?
player.me/felinoel

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users