Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

ThaumCraft crafting template

10 replies to this topic

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts
  • IGN:felinoel
  • Modpack:FTB Mage Quest

Now that NEI has recipes for ThaumCraft items, we should update our crafting grid template to include thaumic recipes, thoughts?

Watch all of my different Let's Play series, Minecraft and more!
player.me/felinoel

We need to make default article pages! Discuss their designs here!

digitallyApocalyptic

digitallyApocalyptic

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 262 posts
  • IGN:GameStopper
  • Modpack:FTB Ultimate

Not sure what you're suggesting here... we already have Template:Grid/Infusion Altar for Thaumcraft recipes (alternatively, Template:Grid/Arcane WorkTable for recipes that don't require aspects, of which there are few.) I feel like it would be a bad plan to "upgrade" our current crafting grid to the thaumcraft-style grid, as this would prove obtrusive and unnecessary for many recipes. It also has the potential to confuse readers.

Then again, maybe you're talking about something else entirely and I'm just too dumb to realize it, a reality which is entirely possible :P

• timrem likes this

My username is digitallyApocalyptic. I contribute where I can on the wiki and I've previously built pretty much the entirety of Category:Twilight Forest. I play FTB Ultimate, some games on Steam, and I follow MS Paint Adventures.

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

No that is what I am talking about, those two templates are unnecessarily gaudy and one is just plain unnecessary since all recipes in the arcane worktable work in the infusion altar.

Take a look at how NEI handles ThaumCraft recipes, it looks like all the other crafting templates and not only does it conform with everything else it just looks better imo

player.me/felinoel

digitallyApocalyptic

digitallyApocalyptic

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 262 posts

Looked at NEI, now I understand what you're saying. I'm of two minds about this; on the one hand, I can see how this would be a better format for the templates (more simplistic, less overly frilly, as Thaumcraft sometimes has a tendency to be) but, at the same time, it has the potential to confuse readers, as the Infusion Altar looks no different from the Arcane Worktable to a decent extent (has the potential to confuse readers as to whether a recipe requires the Infusion Altar or not) and neither of them look anything like how the GUIs appear in-game when looking at the interfaces.

One way or another, I can't support "upgrading" the default crafting grid to the thaumic-style GUI. There is no need for thaumic-style GUIs on a vanilla crafting interface. It's untrue to vanilla, not to mention it can confuse readers into thinking that the Arcane Worktable/Infusion Altar are necessary for recipes for other very techy mods, e.g. GregTech, IC2 and similar.

Template:Grid/ArcaneWorktable is still necessary in case there are people who haven't discovered the Infusion Altar yet, as there are recipes that, although they work in the Infusion Altar as all recipes do, are first discovered and usually crafted first using the Arcane Worktable.

• ZL123 likes this

My username is digitallyApocalyptic. I contribute where I can on the wiki and I've previously built pretty much the entirety of Category:Twilight Forest. I play FTB Ultimate, some games on Steam, and I follow MS Paint Adventures.

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

the Infusion Altar looks no different from the Arcane Worktable to a decent extent (has the potential to confuse readers as to whether a recipe requires the Infusion Altar or not)

Except... for the aspects..?

The viewer will know to use the Infusion Altar if there are aspects required in the recipe.

player.me/felinoel

digitallyApocalyptic

digitallyApocalyptic

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 262 posts

Yes, but apart from the aspects (and a little gray line below the crafting grid on the Infusion Altar GUI) there aren't really any distinguishing features between the two.

I dunno. Doesn't seem like something that's really necessary to me, but I'm not against it either, so I guess I'll say I'm indifferent towards this.

timrem

timrem

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1275 posts
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 1.7 Pack

For each of the machines, we use a grid template that resembles that machine's GUI. Why should this be different for the two Thaumcraft crafting stations? I'd prefer to keep the Arcane Worktable and Infusion Altar grid templates as they are.

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

Yes, but apart from the aspects (and a little gray line below the crafting grid on the Infusion Altar GUI) there aren't really any distinguishing features between the two.

I dunno. Doesn't seem like something that's really necessary to me, but I'm not against it either, so I guess I'll say I'm indifferent towards this.

As for your worries that people won't be able to distinguish what is able to be used in both and what is only able to be used in the Infusion Altar, anyone who has something that can be used only on the Infusion Altar already has the Infusion Altar.

For each of the machines, we use a grid template that resembles that machine's GUI. Why should this be different for the two Thaumcraft crafting stations? I'd prefer to keep the Arcane Worktable and Infusion Altar grid templates as they are.

Because these are unnecessarily flamboyant and potentially confusing.

All recipes that work in the Worktable are workable too in the Altar, but having it the way we have it now implies that it is Worktable only.

player.me/felinoel

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts
  • Location:Not somewhere where people say a fake location to try to be funny
  • IGN:ZL123
  • Modpack:Private Pack

As for your worries that people won't be able to distinguish what is able to be used in both and what is only able to be used in the Infusion Altar, anyone who has something that can be used only on the Infusion Altar already has the Infusion Altar.

Because these are unnecessarily flamboyant and potentially confusing.
All recipes that work in the Worktable are workable too in the Altar, but having it the way we have it now implies that it is Worktable only.

I'm sure the Thaumonomicon says that all recipes that work in the Arcane Worktable work in the Infusion Altar. It does that for the Crafting Table --> Arcane Worktable, I'm pretty sure. I'd rather keep it the way it is now. Does the way we have the crafting grids now implies that the recipes are Crafting Table only? Surely not. It works in the Worktable, the LiquiCrafter, the Fabricator (from XyCraft), the Auto-Crafting Table, the Project Table... etc. And as discussed earlier, those recipes also work in the Arcane Worktable (and so people will get confused if we change the Crafting Grid template: they'll think all regular crafting table recipes don't work, and stuff has to be crafted in the Arcane Worktable)! Anyway, why does it matter that people think Arcane Worktable recipes only work in the Arcane Worktable? Besides, it's more basic than the Infusion Altar.

Also how are the two templates 'potentially confusing'?

(Darn iPad keyboard! xD)

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

YT: http://youtube.com/ZL234
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ZL234

timrem

timrem

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1275 posts
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 1.7 Pack

By that logic, would switching it not imply the recipe is Altar only? That would be worse.

felinoel

felinoel

Steampunk Alchemist

• Administrators
  • 3860 posts

I'm sure the Thaumonomicon says that all recipes that work in the Arcane Worktable work in the Infusion Altar. It does that for the Crafting Table --> Arcane Worktable, I'm pretty sure. I'd rather keep it the way it is now. Does the way we have the crafting grids now implies that the recipes are Crafting Table only? Surely not. It works in the Worktable, the LiquiCrafter, the Fabricator (from XyCraft), the Auto-Crafting Table, the Project Table... etc. And as discussed earlier, those recipes also work in the Arcane Worktable (and so people will get confused if we change the Crafting Grid template: they'll think all regular crafting table recipes don't work, and stuff has to be crafted in the Arcane Worktable)! Anyway, why does it matter that people think Arcane Worktable recipes only work in the Arcane Worktable? Besides, it's more basic than the Infusion Altar.

Also how are the two templates 'potentially confusing'?

(Darn iPad keyboard! xD)

The flamboyance and the extra trouble by two separate templates for technically the same thing is my main issue with the current way we have it.

By that logic, would switching it not imply the recipe is Altar only? That would be worse.

No, because the worktable doesn't have a way to input aspects and so they wouldn't even be able to try it on the worktable at all.

player.me/felinoel

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users