Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Twilight Forest and Buildcraft on the Ultimate pack

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

Roseroar

Roseroar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 Pack

Seems Twilight Forest hates Buildcraft or something. In the last day I've setup 3 sets of 4 quarries to mine out a large Hallow Hill and twice now for some odd reason a chunk reset occurs. At least I *think* it's a chunk reset. All I know is I check on the incoming ender chests (Ender Storage version, nor vanilla) and see nothing coming in. I pop on out to the site and find all four quarries, the ender chests they were feeding into, and 3 of the 4 energy tesseracts feeding the quarries are MIA along with a small chunk of surrounding frame, the rest of the framework is still there intact, and in one of the quarried out area I see a square 'bite' that looks unquarried that is higher than the rest of the quarried down area, which the new quarry has to quarry down level before it can continue with the rest of the area. One of those "Thank God I have admin rights." things so I can cheat in new quarries / ender chests / tesseracts and been scratching it off as a bug so I don't feel bad about doing so. But I'd love to know if anyone has any idea what might be causing it? I have another large Hallow Hill on my map I want to start on next *if* I can get the current one down to bedrock. >.< 

2013-08-13_06.13.49.jpg

timrem

timrem

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1275 posts
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 1.7 Pack

I've not heard of any such problems before, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened. My suggestion, based on no real information, would be to put an extra chunkloader near the quarry. While the quarry should be chunkloading itself, I'd think it possible it's having trouble in that dimension.

A side question: why are you using 4 quarries instead of 1? I'd think 64x64 should be plenty sufficient to cover the area of a hollow hill.

digitallyApocalyptic

digitallyApocalyptic

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 262 posts
  • IGN:GameStopper
  • Modpack:FTB Ultimate

Twilight Forest is a very resource-intensive mod both because of the fact that going through a Twilight Forest portal requires inter-dimensional travel (a demanding process in and of itself; even on vanilla servers, constant travel in and out of the Nether can cause lag if the server does not have sufficient resources to transfer players between dimensions repeatedly) and because of the massive trees and complex generated structures which 1) tend to take up more memory than a normal world due to complexity and 2) tend to take more RAM/CPU to load and keep loaded. If your server is on the smaller side, it's possible that going in and out of the portal may be causing your quarry to "break" or reset the chunks as you've observed to some degree.

To make sure that your quarry is loaded at all times, you can use /chunkloaders. This command is available to everyone on the server and shows any and all chunks loaded in a given area (auto-centers around the player but can be controlled manually) as well as what mod loads them (e.g. BuildCraft|Factory or ChickenChunks or PortalGun) and what player caused the chunkloading to occur. Players are represented by blue squares on the map, loaded chunks by red squares and the chunks that the player loads by a large red square. By noticing where the chunks start and stop being loaded, you can make sure that the quarry is loading everything that needs to be loaded and, if necessary, place down additional Chunk/Spot Loaders to supplement the quarry.

If you have access to the server console, make sure that no errors are appearing there. If there are errors appearing there, post them here and that may be helpful in resolving your problem.

My username is digitallyApocalyptic. I contribute where I can on the wiki and I've previously built pretty much the entirety of Category:Twilight Forest. I play FTB Ultimate, some games on Steam, and I follow MS Paint Adventures.

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts
  • Location:Not somewhere where people say a fake location to try to be funny
  • IGN:ZL123
  • Modpack:Private Pack

Maybe it's something to do with the Ender Chests? Aren't those buggy sometimes?

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

YT: http://youtube.com/ZL234
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ZL234

Iamtk421

Iamtk421

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Modpack:MindCrack Pack

@ Timrem, Quarries have non-linear power requirements, so it is more energy efficient to run 4 quarries than one quarry at 4 times the speed. This could be why he's using multiple Quarries... 

Or he doesn't realise you can use landmarks to enlarge the size from the standard 9x9.

I hope he's not using 3 sets of 4 (12) at full 64x64 size... that'd be quite a lot of chunks loaded. It'd be 192 chunks if they were chunk aligned, and a lot more if they weren't. I presume this isn't the case as a large hollow hill wouldn't be THAT big would it?

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts

@ Timrem, Quarries have non-linear power requirements, so it is more energy efficient to run 4 quarries than one quarry at 4 times the speed. This could be why he's using multiple Quarries... 

Or he doesn't realise you can use landmarks to enlarge the size from the standard 9x9.

I hope he's not using 3 sets of 4 (12) at full 64x64 size... that'd be quite a lot of chunks loaded. It'd be 192 chunks if they were chunk aligned, and a lot more if they weren't. I presume this isn't the case as a large hollow hill wouldn't be THAT big would it?

But that would be 44 diamonds! Power's not as precious as diamonds, and of course I do realize that you can get lots of diamonds from quarries, I know; but it just seems like a waste to me. I don't know though.

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

Iamtk421

Iamtk421

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Modpack:MindCrack Pack

Meh, I guess we play differently, I have loads of diamonds, and never enough energy.

Given he said he's using 3 sets of 4 quarries, he's actually used 132 diamonds... I'd say he's just not aware of landmarks though and they're all 9x9 quarries.

digitallyApocalyptic

digitallyApocalyptic

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 262 posts
  • IGN:GameStopper
  • Modpack:FTB Ultimate

Meh, I guess we play differently, I have loads of diamonds, and never enough energy.

Given he said he's using 3 sets of 4 quarries, he's actually used 132 diamonds... I'd say he's just not aware of landmarks though and they're all 9x9 quarries.

Or 4 quarries used on 3 different Hollow Hills at different times.

My username is digitallyApocalyptic. I contribute where I can on the wiki and I've previously built pretty much the entirety of Category:Twilight Forest. I play FTB Ultimate, some games on Steam, and I follow MS Paint Adventures.

Roseroar

Roseroar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

I've not heard of any such problems before, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened. My suggestion, based on no real information, would be to put an extra chunkloader near the quarry. While the quarry should be chunkloading itself, I'd think it possible it's having trouble in that dimension.

A side question: why are you using 4 quarries instead of 1? I'd think 64x64 should be plenty sufficient to cover the area of a hollow hill.

It's a very very *very* big hallow hill, took 4 max size to cover it. Extra chunk loader? I'll use a World Anchor, have been for other quarries I've had issues with worlds not loading into memory after the daily restart.

==MERGE==

One set of 4, as it's a massive hallow hill, and replaced them twice now as they keep vanishing. >.< Well, three times actually, I cheated in the last 3 sets as I consider this a bug and I don't feel guilty about it. 

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts

One set of 4, as it's a massive hallow hill, and replaced them twice now as they keep vanishing. >.< Well, three times actually, I cheated in the last 3 sets as I consider this a bug and I don't feel guilty about it. 

I have definitely heard that ChunkLoaders and Ender Chests do not work together well, and if the server can't keep up with all the lag, it'll just give up.

And please refrain from double-posting.

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

Roseroar

Roseroar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

I have definitely heard that ChunkLoaders and Ender Chests do not work together well, and if the server can't keep up with all the lag, it'll just give up.

And please refrain from double-posting.

Haven't had problems using quarries in other myst ages using quarries / ender chests together, at least no chunk resets, only not having the age not load back into memory after a server restart. So to suddenly have a consistent chunk reset that takes out just the 4 quarries on a daily basis is getting to be a bit worrisome. Also I edited my above post to include a screen shot if anyone is curious. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users