Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Setting up a server & client on my PC

- - - - -

2 replies to this topic

pf_moore

pf_moore

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 Pack

I've just started modded minecraft, using the DW20 pack via the FTB launcher. So far, I've just been using singleplayer, but I'd like to try out running a server for myself, mainly for education but also so I can leave it running while I'm doing something else.

I get that I can download servers using the "download server" button on the launcher, and I've done that for Regrowth. If I run the server, it seems to start up OK. But I don't know what client I need to use - do I have to use the client for the same modpack as the server (i.e., I need to run the Regrowth client the same as I would for singleplayer and connect from that) or can I use a general client for connecting to various servers using different modpacks? (The startup time for DW20 from the launcher is pretty long, and I was sort of hoping I could launch a server then use a faster-launching client...)

Sorry if these are basic questions. I've had a look around on the internet and while there's quite a lot about running servers, there's not much about what clients can connect to them, or if the client has to match the server. Pointers to useful articles would also be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts
  • Location:Not somewhere where people say a fake location to try to be funny
  • IGN:ZL123
  • Modpack:Private Pack
Your client hs to be the same as the server, unfortunately.

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

YT: http://youtube.com/ZL234
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ZL234

JC_the_Techie

JC_the_Techie

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • IGN:JC_the_Techie
  • Modpack:FTB Infinity
You don't need a server to let the game run on while you are doing something else, you can simply press 'E' to inventory in a safe place and things will keep going.

If you want to play with some friends then, yes they would need to run a client with the same pack as the server. You need a fairly powerful machine to run a server and client at the same time without suffering serious lag.

As for a fast launching client. .. Well good luck!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users