Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Wintry Bees Don't Like Wintry Areas?

bees tundra climate humidity wintry help

7 replies to this topic

nerdsley

nerdsley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Modpack:MindCrack Pack

I've got a bit of a perplexing dilemma here.

Wintry bees don't like the snow.

I found a Wintry Beehive sitting out in a Tundra, and I picked up the Princess and Drone. Upon placing an Apiary near that area and trying to breed the two, it gives me the "Hostile Environment" flag. Upon putting the new Queen in a Beealyzer, she seems to be having problems with the Humidity (the Tundra is arid, she wants Normal). So the next step was to make an Acclimatiser, and raise her tolerance for arid humidity. It's been 10 sand so far and no change.

Am I doing something wrong, or do Winter bees just not like the snow?

digitallyApocalyptic

digitallyApocalyptic

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 262 posts
  • IGN:GameStopper
  • Modpack:FTB Ultimate

Sand in an acclimatiser would make the humidity tolerance move in the opposite direction. You're going to want water, I believe. Try finding a taiga (birch forest w/snow) and set the bee down there if the acclimatiser method isn't working for you. I'm guessing that a taiga would be a better biome for this particular bee.

My username is digitallyApocalyptic. I contribute where I can on the wiki and I've previously built pretty much the entirety of Category:Twilight Forest. I play FTB Ultimate, some games on Steam, and I follow MS Paint Adventures.

Iamtk421

Iamtk421

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

The original poster said they were trying to make the bee comfortable in Tundra (Arid) so sand should be the right thing to put in the acclimatiser, surely?

digitallyApocalyptic

digitallyApocalyptic

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 262 posts
  • IGN:GameStopper
  • Modpack:FTB Ultimate

You're correct, I'm sorry. I hate word problems >_<

Anyways, the acclimatiser often takes a lot (and I mean a LOT) of units of water/lava/sand/whatever before it will raise or lower a bee's trait by even a single degree, so I suppose if you can't find a suitable biome, just keep putting sand in the acclimatiser. I've seen the acclimatiser use up one to two dozen units of water cans before even raising a bee's tolerance to humidity by even a single degree.

My username is digitallyApocalyptic. I contribute where I can on the wiki and I've previously built pretty much the entirety of Category:Twilight Forest. I play FTB Ultimate, some games on Steam, and I follow MS Paint Adventures.

Kerydwenn

Kerydwenn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I can confirm the Acclimatiser using up a lot of resources (several stacks, sometimes). Also, it seems to me that the more you try to raise a queen's tolerance to a given type of temperature/humidity, the harder it becomes.

If you ever feel like dying for this universe, just call me. I'll be waiting. /人 ‿‿ 人\

Kerydwenn

Kerydwenn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hm, I seem to have a similar problem with one of my Water queens. (Sorry for hijacking the topic, but I think the problem's close enough to not warrant a new topic of its own.)

I was trying for Ocean bees, and ended up with a Water-Common hybrid queen who now refuses to work in her underwater hive. I've also got the "Hostile Environment" flag on the hive when she's in it. The hive is placed inside the first layer of water (so that it's in the water, but still gets daylight); there are Lily Pads around; and it has it's "back" to the bank, which is covered in flowers. Two blocks from it, same kind of position, there's another hive with simple Water bees who're working perfectly well. And until now, the problematic hive worked well too when it was used for Water bees only.

My Queen's traits are as follows:

Active:

Species: Water -- Lifespan: Shorter -- Speed: Slowest -- Pollin: Slowest -- Flowers: Lily Pad -- Fertily: 2x -- Area: 9x6x9 -- Effect: None -- Climate: Normal -- Temp. Tol: (0) -- Humidty: Damp -- Humid.Tol: (0)

Inactive:

Species: Common -- Lifespan: Shorter -- Speed: Slowest -- Pollin: Slowest -- Flowers: Flowers -- Fertily: 2x -- Area: 9x6x9 -- Effect: None -- Climate: Normal -- Temp. Tol: (0) -- Humidty: Normal -- Humid.Tol: (0)

In both cases: Nocturnal: No -- Flyer: No -- Cave: Yes

I tried to put her in a normal hive above ground, right next to the water, flowers and lily pads, just for testing purposes; but she still won't work. I'm still quite new myself to bees breeding, so I'm not sure what I should do now to make her work. Put her in the Acclimatizer, surely, but what kind of item should I use to acclimate her? (My aim is to get to Ocean Bees, then Stained, so evidently I want them to go on along the Aquatic Branch.)

If you ever feel like dying for this universe, just call me. I'll be waiting. /人 ‿‿ 人\

Embri

Embri

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Wintry Queens are picky, they don't like most biomes that look like they'd work in!  

http://ftbwiki.org/Biome  This page has all the biomes listed with their climates, it might take some searching before you can find one that she'll be happy in.

I'd suggest rather than trying to use the Aclimatizer, find yourself some Rocky Bees and try breeding their +/-2 tolerances into your Wintry line.  Since they're both hive bees you will possibly get a mutation in the offspring, so stabilize a x2 Fert Rocky holding hive and a Wintry holding hive before you try it.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Watery/Common Queen - your problem is the Normal/Damp requirement; only the active Species trait of a Queen determines her needed envirionment.  Odds are your land/water breeding area is classed Normal/Normal (check the right hand tabs of the Apiary, one of them will tell you exactly what climate it is in right now.)  Your Queen lost her +/- 1 humidity tolerance during crossbreeding so now will only work in Normal temp, Damp humidity.  A Swamp would fit her needs, or a number of the ExtraBiomesXL types (check link above).  

Placement of the apiary in water isn't necessary, and has no effect on the climate.  

To increase a bee's tolerance to dryer conditions (Damp > Normal), you'd use Sand I believe, but again it's faster and easier to crossbreed those tolerance traits from other bees.

Kerydwenn

Kerydwenn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Embri - I had no idea about placement in the water. But yes, my area is Normal/Normal. I managed to get my Queen back to "normal" using Sand in my Acclimatizer, but two mutations later, she reverted back, so I tried from scratch again with another batch. I already have hives scattered in several areas, and adding one more would be kind of tedious, but I'll do it later if need be and nothing else works.

Anyway, thank you.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bees, tundra, climate, humidity, wintry, help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users