Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Best way to farm?

55 replies to this topic

DiamondDoctor

DiamondDoctor

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Modpack:FTB Monster

So i have been working with my small, modified monster pack for a while, and i find myself in need of three things

-A farm. For wheat, pumpkins, melons, carrots, and potatoes. Id like it to be as small as possible.

-A mob farm. Ive seen people make huge towers, with water and whatnot, but i just want it as small as possible

-and finally, an animal farm. I have fences, and i have a location. I need to automate this, and the other two. so.

Suggestions? MFR? Forestry? (BLEGH)

Attached is a map screenshot, with the fenced area the area i hop to build them in.

• DiamondDoctor likes this

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did i help? If so, click that like button! (And then, click Here! This is a feedback poll! Help me Help you and others!) (Stalk me here on the forums!)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bored? Watch these!(-IN THE FACE-...-DADADAOOMSDAY-...-Krieg-...-NFLBLR-...-NFLBLR2-...-Fosko-)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Speak softly and carry a diamond sword"-Me                                                                                                                                                                                            

Punching trees, falling off cliffs, punching grass... Now that i think of it, Minecraft sounds painful.                                                                                                 

The Word of the Week isIndefatigable!

Signature now with 89.6% more COLOR!                                                                                                              

-DiamondDoctor

-For anyone interested, please, please, please check out my mod, AnyUtil, and post suggestions!

timrem

timrem

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1275 posts
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 1.7 Pack

For the standard farm, I'm a fan of Thaumcraft golems. Once you set up a golem with the Harvest core and Order upgrade, and some method of collecting the drops (either another golem, or simply a Vacuum Hopper) it will run forever. You'll also probably want to throw an OpenBlocks Sprinker in there to promote growth.

Cursed Earth is great for setting up a mob farm, assuming you can get a silk touch shovel and perform the division sigil activation ritual. To kill the mobs, I'd probably go with the MFR Grinder if you're looking for a compact setup.

As for the animal farm, I've recently been using Ars Magica sigils of progeny and butchery, with vacuum hoppers to collect the drops and XP. Like the standard farm, this has zero maintenance. It looks like Monster doesn't have Ars Magica, but you've said you're using an edited pack, so I don't know if this is available to you. Otherwise, MFR is probably your best bet here.

• xfritz5375 likes this

DiamondDoctor

DiamondDoctor

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Yea, i can add ars magica. Never used golems, though i know what they do. Cursed earth can be surrounded by stone, and not spread, right?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did i help? If so, click that like button! (And then, click Here! This is a feedback poll! Help me Help you and others!) (Stalk me here on the forums!)

Bored? Watch these!(-IN THE FACE-...-DADADAOOMSDAY-...-Krieg-...-NFLBLR-...-NFLBLR2-...-Fosko-)

Punching trees, falling off cliffs, punching grass... Now that i think of it, Minecraft sounds painful.                                                                                                 

-DiamondDoctor

-For anyone interested, please, please, please check out my mod, AnyUtil, and post suggestions!

dgelessus

dgelessus

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1424 posts
  • IGN:dgelessus
  • Modpack:FTB Tech World 2

MFR should work fine for all three of those, it has planters/harvesters for almost any plant, for mob farms you can use the auto-spawner and slaughterhouse, and I believe it has some animal farming things as well.

Forestry is absolutely terrible since they introduced MultiFarms and disabled the two-block farms. IMO those giant farm cubes are simply too large and expensive, considering that they only provide a little more (if at all) farming area compared to the old ones. Perhaps the old ones were slightly overpowered, but the new system just isn't worth it anymore.

--dgelessus (pm · user page · user talk · contribs · bot · fsck · mcf · mcwiki · SHUT UP)

DiamondDoctor

DiamondDoctor

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

YES! The new farms are way too complicated and expensive! I wish they would bring back the old ones. thats what i was thinking, mfr is good. But im not sure where to start. I didnt use MFR much, i know how to use it a little, but im not sure about everything. there are so many blocks, and machines its daunting. Perhaps im overthinking it.

-DiamondDoctor

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts
  • Location:Not somewhere where people say a fake location to try to be funny
  • IGN:ZL123
  • Modpack:Private Pack

I would definitely go all-out with MFR.

• Celestial Oblivion likes this

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

YT: http://youtube.com/ZL234
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ZL234

TehRawrz

TehRawrz

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • IGN:TehRawrz
I use golems to farm, but thats just me :X

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts

Though if you're planning to make a tree farm, I like to use Steve's Carts for those. :)

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

DiamondDoctor

DiamondDoctor

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Lots of options. Ive used SC2 for tree farming, nascar style. FUN, i had it shoot off fireworks every so often, too.

• ZL123 likes this

-DiamondDoctor

TehRawrz

TehRawrz

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
Steves carts is kinda expensive compared to other options

DiamondDoctor

DiamondDoctor

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

It was, which was why i was doing it on creative XD

-DiamondDoctor

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts

But once you've got started, it's like... forever. Self-sufficient, never runs out (if you're using the Galgadorian drill, that is).

Link to a cart manager thingy linked to some deep storage units (three for oak, two for others) and you're set!

• TehRawrz likes this

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

DiamondDoctor

DiamondDoctor

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

But once you've got started, it's like... forever. Self-sufficient, never runs out (if you're using the Galgadorian drill, that is).

Link to a cart manager thingy linked to some deep storage units (three for oak, two for others) and you're set!

or just build a world eater automated quarry monster thingy like tehrawrz (and me, sorta) did

edit: i forgot we were talking about farming. sorry. 

What about computercraft turtles? a few detect commands, go forward dig down? Would that work?

(I SUCK with lua.)

-DiamondDoctor

TehRawrz

TehRawrz

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Turtles can farm and there are a few programs out there for it. however their tools require diamonds. Also you'd have to set up a way for them to refuel. 

Celestial Oblivion

Celestial Oblivion

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 409 posts
  • IGN:I_Love_Creepers
  • Modpack:Direwolf20 1.6 Pack

I find MRF farms to be ridiculously productive for how cheap they are. And they're easier to use than the forestry farms IMO.

• ZL123 likes this
"The mind is the attribute of man. When man is born, he comes into existence with only one weapon with him- The reasoning mind."

...And his fists for punching trees.

DiamondDoctor

DiamondDoctor

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

I find MRF farms to be ridiculously productive for how cheap they are. And they're easier to use than the forestry farms IMO.

anything is easier than forestry lol

-DiamondDoctor

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts

Turtles can farm and there are a few programs out there for it. however their tools require diamonds. Also you'd have to set up a way for them to refuel.

Steve's Carts 2 uses like... half a stack of diamonds maybe for one Galgadorian Woodcutter?

Also I tried using the turtles for woodcutting on a test world and they just kept on failing, mining the dirt and all...

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

DiamondDoctor

DiamondDoctor

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Ive used turtles for everything. I had my own custom turtle that was named "Murderous Turtle" It patrolled my base and killed mobs.

-DiamondDoctor

TehRawrz

TehRawrz

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

If your turtles don't work it's user error ;)

DiamondDoctor

DiamondDoctor

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

If your turtles don't work it's user error ;)

which keeps it simple

-DiamondDoctor

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users