Welcome to FTB Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mindcrack modpack unstable?

Best Answer Viog82 , 22 February 2013 - 10:48 PM

There is your first problem... Mac.

Go to the full post »

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

surazal

surazal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Modpack:MindCrack Pack

Hello everyone!

I've been playing FTB (Mindcrack edition, single player mode) for a few weeks, and recently after updating to 8.1.1 I've noticed that the game has become remarkably unstable. I've tried reinstalling it, tried new worlds in Survival mode and Creative. I've tried with and without Optifine, but it doesn't matter. I've given it about as much memory I feel safe giving it (4.25Gb on my 8Gb system). I logged a ticket with the support team, but I also wanted to see if anyone else saw this problem. I searched the forums and the Internet in general, and can't seem to figure out what's going on. The only thing I can identify as a potential root cause is that this happened immediately after the upgrade to 8.1.1 of Mindcrack. Before then, it worked fine.

After about 20 minutes of playing the game, it crashes. It crashes hard. One time it crashed so badly, I was forced to re-install and reboot, losing my save game data (I had a backup, fortunately). This crash is very reliable, and for the life of me I can't see any reason why it does this. It worked just fine before. I don't have stability issues with any other application on my laptop. Vanilla minecraft works great. It's just this modpack that breaks.

My OS is MacOS X 10.7.5, and my Java version is 1.6.

Viog82

Viog82

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
✓  Best Answer

Artsja

Artsja

Advanced Member

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Modpack:FTB Ultimate

Viog, please try to actually help people in the questions board. If you really want to state your personal opinion or make a joke, add a helpful suggestion to it or at least try to stay on-topic and say that you don't know how to help.

--

This may be trivial, but try updating Java. Unfortunately I don't have enough experience to help you, so I don't know what could cause the issue. Best of luck though.

Try downgrading to a previous version of Mindcrack and see if your issue persists. I know you said it worked fine, but still, just in case. You could also try disabling specific mods to see whether that is causing the problem. There's a changelog on the FTB Forums that might help you with that.

Edited by Artsja, 22 February 2013 - 11:37 PM.

• gerbalb and surazal like this

surazal

surazal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

This may be trivial, but try updating Java. Unfortunately I don't have enough experience to help you, so I don't know what could cause the issue. Best of luck though.

Try downgrading to a previous version of Mindcrack and see if your issue persists. I know you said it worked fine, but still, just in case. You could also try disabling specific mods to see whether that is causing the problem. There's a changelog on the FTB Forums that might help you with that.

The suggestions are much appreciated. I would try updating Java 7, but the LWJGL libraries for MacOS X on Java 7 are still in alpha mode, so I must stick with Java 6 until they are ready to use. Right now, Java 7 on Mac OS is not suitable for running minecraft on at the moment.

The other suggestions, while they may help narrow down the problem, are unfortunately beyond my ability to do as it's now the weekend and I will not have time to troubleshoot the problem. I was just posting this to see if anyone else saw this problem and if so how they fixed it. If there is no quick fix, then I'll have to find something else to do in my free time.  ^_^

gerbalb

gerbalb

• Administrators
  • 17 posts
Are there any console error messages?

surazal

surazal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Are there any console error messages?

That was the first place I looked. Unfortunately, what happens is that the game locks up, so the only message on the console is that the game became unresponsive and that it be force closed. Sometimes, when it does this, it crashes so badly I have to kill -9 the process from a bash shell within Terminal. I did post the log to pastebin right around when the game starts to become unresponsive, but I usually have to close down the process before my save game is corrupted.

http://pastebin.com/8N0biQWm

There is some message about a memory leak, and people have posted about this before, but no one on any forum I've looked at seems to think this is a critical error message and seems to be minor (despite the log message being logged with the SEVERE flag).

ViperSRT3g

ViperSRT3g

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 212 posts
  • IGN:ViperSRT3g
  • Modpack:Unlisted Pack
I've noticed this memory leak message on my server and simply assumed it had something to do with Dynmap as I have that running. I guess not since it started saying this with the new update to 8.1.1 so it's definitely got to be the update.
Vanilla Server: vanilla.vipersrt3g.net
banner-13472.png
Snapshot Server: snap.vipersrt3g.net
banner-25377.png

surazal

surazal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

It's really strange. I can load a game (or start a new one), let it sit for 30 minutes without me touching any of the controls, and invariably it locks up and crashes. I guess I'll wait until the tech support folks get back to me. I tired running other Java apps (including one I know also takes up a lot of memory) and didn't see any stability issues there. Whatever is going on, it has to be FTB.

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts
  • Location:Not somewhere where people say a fake location to try to be funny
  • IGN:ZL123
  • Modpack:Private Pack

When I try to play MindCrack, it crashes (or freezes) at the Building Terrain screen.

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

YT: http://youtube.com/ZL234
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ZL234

ZER0-0

ZER0-0

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Ever since 8.1.1 I have experienced something similar. After like 2 minutes of playing, It says sound system shutting sown, and then server shutting down. The game freezes, but doesnt crash. I think the problem could be either java or my low amount of RAM. But I dont know what the problem truly is.

• surazal likes this

When in Trouble or in Doubt, Run in circles, Scream and Shout!

surazal

surazal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Ever since 8.1.1 I have experienced something similar. After like 2 minutes of playing, It says sound system shutting sown, and then server shutting down. The game freezes, but doesnt crash. I think the problem could be either java or my low amount of RAM. But I dont know what the problem truly is.

My system has 8Gb, and I increased the amount allocated to FTB all the way up to 6Gb, and I get very similar symptoms to what you're reporting. I don't think lack of RAM is an issue; I'm more and more convinced there's a rather nasty little memory leak in 8.1.1.

I did try one suggestion by Artsja today and that did finally "fix" the problem. I've downgraded to Mindcrack 8.0.X. I was hesitant to try this because I wasn't sure if my world was backwards-compatible, but everything seems to be fine. The game is back to being stable again. Right now, I'm just going to hold off on upgrading to 8.1.X. I still have that ticket open with the FTB support site, so hopefully someone can help identify the issue so I don't have to hang back on 8.0 forever.  ;)

• ZER0-0 likes this

ZER0-0

ZER0-0

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Yes! I expect ill wait untill a new version comes out, surely some mindcrackers should experience the problem too.

When in Trouble or in Doubt, Run in circles, Scream and Shout!

Embri

Embri

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

I'm having problems with the recent FTB versions as well.  Neither 8.1.1 nor 8.0.1 will work for me when I choose them directly on the version selection drop-down of the launcher.  

8.1.1 won't even load up, it gets to the blank screen with Yes/No buttons, after picking yes it sits at "Downloading Terrain" for a while then the console generates a "Memory connection overburdened" line, and it goes to "Shutting down internal server".

8.0.1 will load successfully, but after about 30 seconds it starts to lag and then locks up.  I can't even seem to get the log onto my clipboard/pastebin, but here's a screenshot.  

Seems like GregTech might be the culprit?  I can't really see removing it from the modpack though, most of the things I've built or am working on use GregTech. :(

Strangely enough my window says I'm using MindCrack Pack v8.1.1, yet it asks if I want to update on launch, and I'm pretty sure it's still v7.  Terribly confusing.

OS X 10.6.8 2.8GHz Intel Core i7

8GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM, 4GB allocated to FTB

Java 13.9.2

2lo55rq.jpg

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts
Yeah, I get a lot of what Embri gets. On my 8.1.1, it just gets stuck at Building Terrain.
I'm not exactly sure about my 8.0.1, but I tried it and it failed.

I really hope it gets fixed soon!

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

Weels1566

Weels1566

Admin

• Administrators
  • 28 posts
  • IGN:weels1566
  • Modpack:FTB 1.5.2 Beta Packs

For me none of this happens try importing your mindcrack into multiMC and modifying java requirements there because even if you set the dedicated amount in the other launcher it is still going to allocate a less than that of dedicated amount in multimc just up min and max java requirements to also increase the allocated memory.

Also I have noticed in the recent patches some server problems all of my worlds on the server constantly leak and a little time back I had to remove and re install thermal expansion to due a bug within the mod wich would constantly crash the game for simply having any blocks down belonging to the mod.

header.png

Embri

Embri

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

May have figured out what the problem is.  It seems to be not the memory allocation for minecraft, but for Java's housekeeping duties that is causing the problem.  I tried this solution, posted here: http://www.neckbeard...mac_for_anyone/

Which has you add an additional parameter for Java, "-XX:PermSize=128m" under Options > Advanced Options, in the FTB Launcher.

I have not attempted to update to one of the newer versions (still using v.7, I believe, despite what my window tells me) but I played for several hours yesterday and today non-stop without a single freeze, crash or stutter.  

• ViperSRT3g and ZER0-0 like this

ZL123

ZL123

Me.

• Administrators
  • 2079 posts

May have figured out what the problem is.  It seems to be not the memory allocation for minecraft, but for Java's housekeeping duties that is causing the problem.  I tried this solution, posted here: http://www.neckbeard...mac_for_anyone/

Which has you add an additional parameter for Java, "-XX:PermSize=128m" under Options > Advanced Options, in the FTB Launcher.

I have not attempted to update to one of the newer versions (still using v.7, I believe, despite what my window tells me) but I played for several hours yesterday and today non-stop without a single freeze, crash or stutter.  

I tried that but now it says that it can't find a class from the InvTweaks mod...

-ZL123
Hope I helped!

Embri

Embri

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Try disabling InvTweaks temporarily, see if that's the only problem?  You can disable mods in the Launcher manually.   I have it turned off by default because it was causing some random problems for me early on.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users